The garden created in 1617 by “Boyeau de La Bareaudière”, first theorist of the French garden, on Marie de Médicis’s initiative, organized itself around a central flowerbed crowned with terraces. Two thousand elms aligned in square framed the perspective which stumbled in the South over the wall of the enclosure of the Carthusian monks. The monks refusing to give up a thumb of ground, the extension southward was realized only at the end of the 18th century, after the disappearance of the convent during the revolution. Luxemburg was reshaped under the First Empire by Chalgrin, who widens and prolonged the central perspective and created a garden in the southwest. Of this time the balustrades date which overhang the central flowerbed and the pond. Under the Second Empire, the percement of streets and the neighbouring avenues the surface reduced, but the configuration was not questioned.
The princely garden in which Watteau got secretly to find there the inspiration opened to the public in 1778. It is since, that of the students and the local residents. Unlike the other parks, one gave it only very rarely name-days. A bandstand, a merry-go-round realized by Garnier and numerous shelters were installed from the 19th century, completed by multiple areas intended for the leisure activities and for the games today.
Spread in all the garden, the statuary includes about eighty works, among which the famous series of the queens and ladies of France, realized by representative artists of the 19th century: Cain, Frémiet, Bourdelle, Marqueste… The garden counts three fountains: the fountain Médicis, which carries the weapons of the queen her pediment and to whom is leaned, since 1869 , the fountain of the Glance, and the fountain commemorating Eugène Delacroix, decorated with Jules Dalou’s (1890) bronze.
Wallflowers, sages, dahlias… The flowerbeds succeed one another in flowerbeds and which are renewed three times a year. In the summer months add to it orange trees, palm trees – date palms, pomegranate trees and oleanders, certain old men of two centuries. Due to and of other one of the palace extend standing woody surfaces of white chestnut trees. Isolated by a plant screen consisted of laurels, aucubas and privets, the landscape garden offers a big variety of essences and contains an orchard, a vestige of the nursery of the Carthusian monks, including two thousand variety show of apples and pear trees planted in wall bars.
One of the most beautiful Parisian gardens, romantic as one pleases. Big flowerbeds to the French that loved, before the current students, Baudelaire, Gérard de Nerval, Verlaine and Rilke…
Main essences of the Parisian parks are selected according to their capacities to support repeated prunings and to resist to the atmospheric pollution and to the diseases. It is the case of chestnut trees, lime trees and maples that constitute so many refuges for birds. If most great majority of them show in spring, some adapt themselves better to winter as lesser spotted woodpecker big as a sparrow, or still a firecrest the smallest bird of Europe.
Of the time of St Louis, rose on this ground a cursed building called Vauvert’s castle. Later, grounds bought by Marie de Médicis from the duke of Luxemburg were swampy. Gases which escaped from their foul waters ignited to form will-o’-the-wisp. Where from the idea of the devil, and so, the expression “aller au diable Vauvert” (to go to the devil).
To the left of the entrance, by the place Edmond-Rostand, the loving meetings look themselves near the Médicis’s magnificent fountain surrounded with plane trees. it dates 1624, but sculptures are of the 19th century. The most beautiful place of the district to court.
Hotel Saint Vincent - www.hotelsaintvincentparis.com
Hotel Saint Thomas - www.hotel-st-thomas-daquin.com
Hotel Lenox Saint Germain - www.hotelparislenoxsaintgermain.com
Hotel Odeon St-Germain - http://www.hotelparisodeonsaintgermain.com/